Let me tell you I love the freedom of having a car, and let me tell you more than half the time while traveling having a car would be a nightmare. How do I chose? Rent a car? Stick with the train, bus, uber?
1. Where am I? We went to Egypt and renting a car is as close to deciding to kill yourself as anything else plus, parking is crazy and cabs and über and even hiring a driver is cheaper and safer. So, don't rent in Egypt. But if you are spending a week seeing as much of Ireland as you can, as car is a must. (buy full insurance right from rental desk, always, in Ireland).
Another example where not to rent a car, Paris. Car bad idea no where to park! Avoid cars in towns very well served by public transport.
2. For the most part renting a car should be based on need and convenience and if you are comfortable driving in foreign situations. I am. I love a good manual stick on the left side on small city streets. Biggest problem with a car is what you do with it when you are not driving. Don't rent a car until you know you can park it and access it easily.
3. Price is a huge factor. I will pay a bit extra to have a car if it will make life much easier. We are headed to Iceland in a couple weeks. Public transport isn't too difficult, bus from airport 45 minutes, uber to flat 10, we could walk, but it's about 1/2 mile. Problem is we are coming in at Midnight. Navigating is more difficult and we might want to wander out of the city. Plus, bus and other travel is about $100. Full price of car $131, (petrol extra). And easy parking. It's a no brainer.
Now ask questions, I know I left stuff out. Plus, I will do later post about how to get best deal on rental. It's cheap in UK right now.
Talk soon travel well and often Brad
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment